Tuesday 27 July 2010

My other car is also a Porsche


Apologies to Douglas Adams' fans.
I went to London yesterday, the reasons for which will be explained presently.
I was sat on the train on the way home from Paddington Bear station in what seemed to be a child seat (I'm a larger chap), trying to amuse myself doing emails on my fangled go faster phone. because of the jiggy jiggy motion of the carriage, half of them ended up saying hhmmmff***, or something, as I kept hitting the wrong buttons. Having turned it off, I had no choice but to listen to the ebullient conversation between two city chaps behind me.

Chap 1 "I going to get another car"

Chap 2 "What happened to the Merc. ?

Chap 1 "I gave it to my brother"

Chap 2 "Do you men the Porsche?"

Chap 1 " Yes. The Cayenne (superfast Luxury 4x4 Porsche) is OK, but I'm bored of the 911

Me "Got any jobs going?"

Actually the last line was internal, as I smiled about how the other half lives, and how selflessly they were doing their bit to keep our economy moving.
I was in London, working with the most excellent British Psychological Society, in my role of making a noise about improving the lost of Mental Health service users, something they take very seriously. http://www.bps.org.uk/dcp/suclc/suclc_home.cfm

Getting into the office was a very hot business, and I had quite a glow on me when I finally got there. I decided to use the unisex 'facilities' to fill the basis with cold water, and stick my head in it for a few minutes and cool off. Part way through my strange looking exercise, in walked supergirl, a vision of glowing health in her cycling outfit who informed me she wanted to use the room to get changed. I told her she was welcome to go ahead.

I left her to it of course.

10 minutes later, I was sat with some of my colleagues around a very large conference table when we did our introductions. Supergirl turned out to be the Chair of the Clinical Psychology Division, so naturally I when introducing myself , I declared that I already knew some of the people in the room, as poker faced, I said 'we met in the toilets'. Keep 'em guessing!


No comments:

Post a Comment